LX Monitor arm mounted on a zero gravity recliner

LX Monitor arm mounted on a zero gravity recliner

Postby merkel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:24 am

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post my setup here in case anyone else has a similar project in mind.

I have bad upper back and neck pain which is made worse by sitting in front of the computer for 8 hours at work, then maybe a couple of more hours at home. So I set out to create an ergonomic workstation using the Human Touch Perfect Chair as the base.

Best. Decision. Ever.

I initially tried the Neo Flex monitor arm since it supports downward tilt, but I found it unsuitable for my needs because it does not stay in place as well, and the range of movement is also more limited.

The LX monitor arm doesn't support downward tilt out of the box, but with a few small modifications (breaking off the tilt limiting tabs at the bottom of the tilting component, and disabling the tension spring by dislodging the ends from their intended placements) I was able to get more than enough downward tilt for the zero gravity position in the chair. See the linked image for my setup. Currently I'm using a lap desk with a keyboard and trackball mouse mounted on it, but I may eventually try out the keyboard arm that Ergotron makes.

In all, I'm really impressed with the LX monitor arm and don't believe any other mount would have done the job so well. I move the monitor position several times daily, and the mount has held up very well thus far and I expect it to continue to do so.

Hope this helps, and if you have any back problems I highly recommend this setup! I know Human Touch Perfect chairs are expensive, but you can find used ones on craigslist or pay a bit more and buy a refurbished one. (I know I sound like I'm advertising these chairs, but it's only because I'm so amazed at how much better my back feels when using it!)

-Daniel
merkel

Re: LX Monitor arm mounted on a zero gravity recliner

Postby steveA » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Cool!
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby ErgoMichelle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:58 pm

It's an interesting idea! I know that I have seen people attach to bedsides, coffee tables, end tables, treadmills, and shelves but this is my first chair. ;-) Now you need one for the other arm for dual monitor action? Or a worksurface that your keyboard sticks to for good ergonomics. Hmm...
Director, Global Communications
ErgoMichelle
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby steveA » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm

I think you could get the keyboard in there by using the LX Keyboard Arm. To mount that arm, either you'd want a longer pole for the desk clamp (attaching two arms to the same base), or you'd want another desk clamp base so the keyboard arm could attach to the chair's other arm. The bad news is we don't sell component parts of LX products so one can't simply order another base or a longer pole. Drat! Customization would be a lot more fun if we would start selling those component parts.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby ErgoMichelle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Where would you fit the cup holder though? ;-) Zero gravity cup holders would be a nice addition...
Director, Global Communications
ErgoMichelle
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby KingJaffeJoffer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Daniel,
Thank you so much for posting this. I've been going nuts trying to find the best solution for a zero gravity workstation for the past few days and this looks perfect. I already have a Perfect Chair and any good options I've seen are like $3000+. The mods to enable downward tilt were really easy right? Something a non-engineer would be able to figure out just by looking at it? I'm going to order the LX with the higher pole in case I want to add the keyboard tray later. I'm assuming the regular pole on the LX is not big enough for both? Seriously, I'm psyched about this. Thank you. God only know what kind of mess I would have made trying to rig something up myself.

-Jared
KingJaffeJoffer

Postby psofa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Hello, i have thought about the exact same thing and found this nice thread.I have already done it with the neoflex arm however it lacks easy height adjustment or the extra extention.
I suppose the spring was removed so that the monitor didn't bounce back?
Can the spring be removed non destructively?
And most importantly if the spring is removed how will the tilt joint stay in place?
psofa

Postby TheLandYacht » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 am

How did you overcome the fact that, at the final joint before the monitor...the monitor can't be tilted below the vertical in the factory configuration?

The monitor CAN be tilted all the way to the horizontal, but only UP, not down. There's a physical stop at the last joint to prevent the monitor from being tilted downward. I'm trying to figure out who'd buy a monitor arm, put a monitor on it, then point it at the ceiling. What's the purpose of that (where would one use a monitor pointed straight up)?

It appears (looking at mine) that it's as simple as disassembling it at the NEXT joint up, the one that swings the monitor itself left/right on the arm, and flipping it over so that the stop is no longer in the way and it can be tilted all the way to horizontal DOWNWARD rather than upward (as described above).

I'm gonna give that a shot and I'll post my results.

Oh, on your mount-to-the-arm project, is that arm sturdy enough to hold it steady? I have a Perfect Chair of my own. It doesn't feel like the material (is that wood?) inside that arm would be sturdy enough to hold much weight without wobbling constantly. Of course, my right-hand armrest is where the mousepad lives, and of course the control lever for the Perfect Chair are under the LEFT armrest, so you can't mount the monitor on that side.

I just built my own free-standing monitor-mount-base from "Black pipe", that's iron pipe designed for use with natural gas in homes & buildings (found at Home Depot/Lowes). I used 1" blackpipe, made the base appx 4ft tall, and bolted the LX to that, it works swimmingly. I'll post pics of my setup another time.
TheLandYacht

Postby TheLandYacht » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:51 am

SteveA: Since it looks like you're the employee most often replying on these, can you eyeball an LX and tell me if my plan (3rd paragraph above) is feasible? I don't see there being any spring/pneumatic/etc inside the joint I'm looking at inverting, looks at first glance like that joint's a simple bolt&swivel affair. Am I right?
TheLandYacht

Postby steveA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 am

I kind of doubt that flipping the spring would work but cannot say for certain. Instead, to increase the downward tilt of the LX, try following the instruction on this YouTube video, which was made by a customer. As Merkel did, the video shows the user breaking off the tabs that limit the titling range. It is an older style LX in the video but the process is still the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPEiM_Qk0SY

Of course, usual caveats apply regarding warranty--a modification like this is done at your own risk.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Next

Return to Desk Mounts