desk mount for cintiq 24hd?

desk mount for cintiq 24hd?

Postby usurpator » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:53 am

Hello, I need to put my cintiq 24hd on an arm (desk mount) so as to relieve my back of heavy problems.
My concern is the weight of the cintiq. I know the cintiq 22 (8.3 kilos) fits wonderfully on an LX arm,
but the cintiq 24 weighs 13.7 kilos!
I've spent some time looking at your products and forums and could not find a suitable desk mount.
BUT I've read in one of the threads here that if you attach the LX to the desk by using the hole and screw method instead of the clamp it can support a heavier weight than announced on the product page (9kilos).
Is that true? Would my cintiq 24 be safe on such a rig? I can't have it slide down while I draw.
Any info would be most most welcome. The idea is to use the cintiq from an armchair that tilts backwards so I'm in the general position you get when in a deck chair (sorry, there is probably a name for this but english is not my first language).
The MX looks good but it doesn't swing down enough - I would have to adjust my desk height so that in its lowest position the mx would bring the cintiq towards me at the right hight , something easier with the LX
ANY suggestion will be most welcome.

Many thanks to all!
usurpator

Re: desk mount for cintiq 24hd?

Postby steveA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 am

Regarding the LX, no, it won't work. A grommet-mount installation might add a bit more stability to the base in some circumstances, but the issue is the arm itself, not how it is mounted. An LX arm always has a maximum capacity of 9.1 kg.

The MX is really the only possibility for the 24" Cintiq at this time. The Cintiq's weight of 13.7 kg is just a hair over the MX's stated capacity but it should work. In the future, there might be more options.

EDIT: Feedback shows the MX, like the LX, is not compatible with the Cintiq 24HD (see post below). Ergotron arms work well with smaller Cintiq monitors, but currently only those with screens of 22" and below.

EDIT 2: Our database shows the 24HD weighs 16 kg (35 lbs), not 13.7 kg.

UPDATE: Looks like we have a solution! See post later in the thread for details.
Last edited by steveA on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby Scully » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 am

Yes, it works perfectly!

I read the original post when I wanted to place my Cintiq 24HD screen on another mount. After perfectly trying the LX Ergotron arm on my 27 inch MAC screen, I did not believe Ergotron's answer on this issue. So I did the engineering my self and carried out the installation; as I said, it works perfectly! Here are the instructions:

First, make the hole on a hard desk that will support the LX in the hole and screw method instead of the clamp -- as in the Ergotron instructions.

Second, you need to remove the original 24HD mound from its screen, following the instructions given by the Cintiq manual. Then you will need the Ergotron 97-759, VESA Bracket Adaptor Kit. This adaptor will connect the screen to the LX. You will have to get new sized screws -- or carefully measure and cut them as I did -- in order to make a snug connection. Also, make sure to place the Flat Washers on the empty space left between the XL and the plates of the Adaptor Kit; as well as in "one" side between the holes of the screen and one rod of the Adaptor Kit -- you will know which one it is -- one side of the holes of the screen has protection, i.e., three bumps, so it does not need Washers.

Third, you will need a rubber or leather desk pad, e.g., I use the IKEA KNÖS Desk Pad. This will support the screen on the desk and it will also cushion it as well -- very important -- to prevent the screen from wobbling or sliding as it rests on the edge of the desk. Remember, on the original 24HD, the screen only rest only on its mount pad, or in a looked upright position. (You will be able to do the same with these specifications for the LX.)

Fourth, tighten all the joints located on the head of the LX to a maximum, and you are ready to go. In general, remember that the screen will remain on the desk pad for all practical drawing purposes. Also, one Warning! make sure you give the wires enough space to breath, otherwise as you rotate the 24HD over 90 degrees, the wires could potentially stress and break.

I have this amazing product on the LX mount and it is much, much better than its original mount. It is steady when rested on the desk pad, and more versatile by its flexibility, e.g., by allowing rotations and twists. I wish Cintiq/Wacom would give us the opportunity to choose whether one wants a mount or not --I am sure they would sell more products, as prices would drop for those without a mount.

In any case I hope this post helps those looking to mount their Cintiq 24HD, and thanks for the original post.
Scully

Postby steveA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks, Scully. I'm glad it is working for you.

But I'm going to reiterate what I said--the LX arm is not compatible with the 24HD, which weighs something like 35 lbs.

This is what people need to understand: When Ergotron says something is compatible, we're guaranteeing that the arm will function perfectly for five years; we're saying the arm will hold your monitor in its position--suspended above the desktop--for that entire time. Further, over that entire period, we're assuming that you'll move the screen fully up and then fully down through its 13-inch vertical range 10,000 times. And after that 10,000th adjustment, the arm will continue to hold the screen suspended above the desktop.

Put a Cintiq 24HD on an LX arm and you won't even come close to passing that quality test. In fact, I suspect it will sag an inch or two from day one whenever you move it through its motion range.

Now, if you're planning to leave the monitor at rest on a desktop pad for most of the time (as Scully advises), with the arm only assisting in repositioning, then yes, the LX can do that. But that's not the criteria we use to define compatibility. I always encourage users to find new ways to use our products (three cheers for LX + 24HD!), but in this case, doing so will void the warranty on the LX.

UPDATE: MX is reported incompatible with 24HD (see below)--MX has 10 lbs+ capacity above the LX, which puts into perspective the inadequacy of the LX to handle the 24HD. Any Wacom users should be careful if ever considering attaching the 24HD to an LX. The Cintiq 22Hd and below work great, not the 24HD.

UPDATE 2: Looks like we have a solution! See post later in the thread for details.
Last edited by steveA on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby prongsium » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi,

After reading this post and the somewhat ambiguous response from SteveA, I thought I'd go out and try mounting my Cintiq 24hd to the Ergotron MX to see if there was a chance it might work.

Unfortunately, for Cintiq 24HD owners, the Ergotron MX will most definitely NOT work at all the way it is supposed to with the behemoth monitor from Wacom.

It can be affixed to the arm, but in the end, the MX just cannot support its weight and it will crumple immediately. Adjusting the arm up/down tightness allows it to fall more slowly. Do not even attempt!
prongsium

Postby steveA » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for the feedback on the MX--it is GREATLY appreciated. Sometimes one can never say for certain whether a mount is compatible or not until it is actually tested. Apologies for my ambiguous response, which lead to you being the one to try it out.

So, neither the LX nor the MX is compatible the Wacom 24hd. Some people, like Scully, find performance suitable enough for their application, but general Wacom users need to understand that these arms will not perform as advertised when combined with the 24hd. The arms work great with the 22hd and smaller Wacom Cintiqs--but not the 24hd.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby creatix86 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:23 am

hello,

i just bought the lx dual and an extra mx arm for my cintiq 24HD and now that i got the product i find this thread....

How can it not support 100g more? can i be sure the mx is working with a screen that weights exactly 13.6 kg or do i have to expect constrained functionality even with these and lighter screens ?

If i try using my 24 HD with the mx anyway and accept possible functionality constricitions will I loose my 5 year warranty as if id try using it with a lx arm ?

Also, will there be an ergo arm (single or dual sid-eby-side) in the near future that supports these kind of screens ? i bet 9/10 people that spend so much money on a professional screen will not hesitate to spend another 150-300€ for having it where they want it. Also, beeing able to lay your arm on a touchscreen/notebook held by an ergotron-arm would be another good reason for making a model that supports more weight and still can be attached to desks..

thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. please add a note atleast to the mx arm specs on the main site that it does NOT support the cintiq 24 HD so other users wont make the same mistake..
creatix86

Postby steveA » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:23 am

Part of the confusion here stems from the initial post stating that the 24HD weighs 13.7 kg. It is why I recommended the MX at first (because I didn't bother validating the claim). But it appears that the 24HD weighs more than that: our database shows that it actually weighs 16 kg (35 lbs) without its base, and the experience of prongsium is consistent with the weight of 16 kg.

You're right that if it weighed 13.7 kg, it ought to work--100 g wouldn't make much difference. But 2.3 kg can make a big difference.

It is still possible that the MX would work adequately for you. Even though prongsium didn't succeed, I have no idea if he/she truly tightened the height-adjustment mechanism to its absolute maximum, and variation in manufacturing can occasionally produce a unit that is either a bit stronger or weaker than the prototype.

If you want to try it, fully tighten the height-adjustment and tilt mechanisms before you attach the monitor (i.e., to be sure it is on its highest weight setting, make sure no load is applied before tightening the bolts). But because the 24HD is well outside the specifications of the MX, it cannot be guaranteed to hold the 24HD consistently, certainly not over the course of its five-year warranty. In any case, you ought to be able to return the unit to the reseller for a refund.

In the future, there are indications that we'll release a desk-mount arm suitable for the 24HD, but I cannot say exactly when it might be released.

Best of luck and apologies for this hassle.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby creatix86 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 am

thanks alot for the quick helpful reply! Its wacom who is to blame then for posting wrong specs on their website. Ill return the mx and hope to see a Model supporting more weight in the future then. You might want to add a note on your website though.

One more question: do you know if there is any way to attach 2 arms to a single screen? like an alternative vesa-adapter that attaches the 2 vesa 100x100 to the 200x100 of the cintiq 24 HD ? probably not but just attaching 2 arms would be a nice solution to my problem and a very easy way to increase weight limit of almost all ur products..
creatix86

Postby steveA » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 am

Wow, two arms for one monitor--never thought of that.

I'd think it could be done. Maybe if one uses our VESA Bracket Adapter (97-759), you could attach the arms' 100 mm VESA plates to the outside holes while the 200x100 mm interface of the monitor uses the interior holes. You'd need some new screws and nuts to attach to the arms' plates, and if the monitor's VESA interface is recessed into the monitor or the brackets/screws are too tight against the back of the display, you'd also need spacers.

Great idea. Could work, but it's definitely an experiment. If you try it, please report what happens. I'll share the idea with engineering folks.

UPDATE: I ran the idea past the Product Manager: use the LX Side-by-Side Arm (45-245-026) along with the VESA Bracket Adapter Kit. He liked the idea a lot and thought it had a good chance of working, maybe even straight out of the box without any modifications to the Kit. We're going ahead with testing the configuration. If anyone reading this post also wants to give it a try, please do and let us know what happens. Once testing is done, I will convey results here--we may have a solution for the Cintiq 24HD after all.

UPDATE 2: Looks like the above idea works! It is not "out of the box" ready, however--requires only some minor modification. See post later in the thread for details.
Last edited by steveA on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Next

Return to Desk Mounts