desk mount for cintiq 24hd?

Re: desk mount for cintiq 24hd?

Postby gneeworks » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had a chance to try out the LX dual side-by-side + VESA adaptor kit setup with a Cintiq 24HD, or has Ergotron staff been able to test this configuration at all? ? I am also in the market for a monitor arm for my Cintiq 24HD and have done extensive research and picked out a few possible options, but I was curious as to see if this worked for anyone.
gneeworks

Postby ErgoMichelle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:54 am

No conclusion yet from Ergotron's testing. Should have some info this week or by early next week. Stay tuned.
Director, Global Communications
ErgoMichelle
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby steveA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Good News! Looks like this is a solution (with some caveats).

One can combine the LX Side-by-Side Arm (45-245-026) with our VESA Bracket Adapter (97-759) to hold a monitor weighing up to 40 lbs / 18.2 kg when fitted together properly.

Here are some things to note:
    1) We haven't tested with a Wacom 24HD per se, but instead used weights to mimic the load. Once we actually try a 24HD, we'll be able verify which fasteners one needs and absolutely verify performance.
    2) The solution does not work "out of the box." At this point you'll either need to make a trip to the hardware store to get four M5 screws with locking nuts, or use a M6 tap to thread holes on the LX arms' VESA plates. The Adapter Kit includes lots of hardware (like spacers, long M4 screws, M6 screws), which will come in handy. Once we threaded the plate holes, everything we needed was in the kit (but remember, we didn't attach to 24HD so not 100% sure if other fasteners wouldn't be needed).
    3) You'll need a sturdy desk surface. This solution applies a lot of torque force at the base. Using the Grommet Mount option rather than the Desk Clamp could help a bit if you're unsure of your desk's strength.
    4) This isn't an "official" Ergotron solution yet. Think of it as a DIY project. My guess is Ergotron will likely make some minor modifications to kits so it can work "out of the box," and that it will go through a battery of testing to ensure there isn't some unforeseen complication.

I don't see any reason not to do it (it worked better than I expected when I tried it) but that's not the same as Ergotron guaranteeing it, meaning this is still to be considered at your own risk. I'll post some pictures in the next few days so you get a visual of the construction. If anyone tries it, please report back and share experience. I'll try to answer any questions for installation.
Last edited by steveA on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby steveA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 am

Here are some images of the configuration. You'll see two 400 mm rails connecting the plates of the LX arms; eight M6 screws fasten the rails to the plates, with holes in the plates being threaded (the one modification we made; could have used M5 screws and locking nuts instead). The weights are connected to the rails via a 100 x 100 mm hole pattern formed on the inside of the rails; we used long M4 x 25 mm screws from the kit to connect to the weights. With the 24HD, one would need to attach it through holes forming a 200 x 100 mm pattern by the rails, which means only four M6 or M5 screws would connect the rails on the outside of the plates; the M4 screws would connect through the holes on the inside of the arm plates, through holes in the rails, and threading into the monitor.

The arms can handle this configuration--in terms of warranty, there's nothing here that would prevent their intended performance over the course of 5 years. The "at your own risk" warning comes from the fact that this is being customized by you, the end user, to make it hold a display that might cost $2,500 or more. And since Ergotron can't control the modification you make, in the event that something happened to the display, the responsibility would be yours. That said, in my opinion the risk is pretty low. It looks like Ergotron is in the process of making changes to product so that this will be a standard configuration--not sure of timeline but these changes are fairly simple so it shouldn't be too long.

BTW: Thanks to creatix86 for germinating the idea!
Attachments
LX40lbs-side.jpg
LX40lbs-low.jpg
LX40lbs-low.jpg (18.41 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
LX40lbs-high.jpg
LX40lbs-high.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby gorgaar » Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 am

steveA wrote:It looks like Ergotron is in the process of making changes to product so that this will be a standard configuration--not sure of timeline but these changes are fairly simple so it shouldn't be too long.

Hello!

Just out of interest, did Ergotron ever finalize the LX Side-by-Side Arm solution for the Cintiq 24HD that was discussed above?

Thank you very much!
gorgaar

Postby steveA » Thu May 15, 2014 4:41 pm

No, and I'm really bummed about it. It's so frustrating because as a product design, it is so close to being finished--basically no extra tooling or R&D--just put the parts together, update the manual and voila! But I don't set priorities so the wait continues.

I will continue to pester the folks that do set priorities.
Last edited by steveA on Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby steveA » Thu May 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Here are some pictures of this custom configuration attached to the Wacom 24HD. Minor modifications were made to the VESA brackets that connect the two pivots (threaded outside holes of the arms' VESA plates) but otherwise everything came straight out of the boxes... As stated previously, the guarantee caveats still apply until this becomes and official Ergotron solution.
Attachments
45-245-wacom24HD-1.jpg
45-245-wacom24HD-2.jpg
45-245-wacom24HD-3.jpg
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby gorgaar » Sun May 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Thank you very much for the update with pictures!

Even if still not official yet, it definitely looks like an awesome solution. Hope it gets the blessing of a standard Ergotron-configuration eventually!
gorgaar

Postby Phigster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:16 pm

I just had to drop in on this thread to say thanks to everyone involved in the seeding, configuring and testing of this set-up.

I'm now using this configuration in my home office (with M5 bolts and locking nuts rather than using the M6 tap). I chose it for the space savings, but the comfort of this setup is a serious improvement and moving the screen is much more natural.

It really is a great!

Many Thanks

Philip
Phigster

Postby astrocom » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:30 am

steveA, thanks for setting this up.

I have two LX Desk Mounts. Will it work to support the 24HD if I stack the two arms onto one mount? Logically it could work but I am not sure because the two arms would be one on top of the other and not stacked on the same level like in the Side by Side Arm. Is there going to be any weight imbalance or weight distribution problem?

I am considering getting the 24HD but my decision hinges on whether I could combine my two LX arms to support the 24HD.
astrocom

PreviousNext

Return to Desk Mounts