Wacom Cintiq 22hd too heavy?

Wacom Cintiq 22hd too heavy?

Postby Frag » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for an orientable/mobile desktop stand for my Wacom Cintiq 22hd and the 45-241-026 LX looks just right but, searching for feedbacks and opinions on the web I read that someone has experienced too much "wobbling" and a progressive stand "weakness" after some month of use. Being the Cintiq just about 0,5 Kg less heavy that the LX maximum allowed weight is the aforementioned issue something that may easily occur? Thanks for the help.

A.
Frag

Re: Wacom Cintiq 22hd too heavy?

Postby steveA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

It's not too heavy. It should work. The person who wrote the negative review may not have had the arm properly adjusted to handle the weight of the Cintiq. Because the Cintiq is at the top-end of the arm's weight range, the adjustment screws will need to be almost fully tightened, which may require many rotations (a couple dozen or more) during set-up to achieve. People sometimes fail to do this, either because they don't read the manual or they give up too soon.

In fact, there are a few designers working at Ergotron who use Cintiqs attached to LX Arms. Though it is not the same Cintiq model (21UX), the weight/size is almost identical to the 22HD. Their experience has been uniformly positive.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby Frag » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to make up my mind and go for the LX (and have more freedom of movement and extension) of the MX (and have less extension but a safer weight range). Yes, I almost find only 21ux users reviewing Ergotron arms (or any display arm at all) so I keep having some doubt if safely pull the trigger or look further.
Frag

Postby steveA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:54 am

Like I said, it should work fine. The 22HD is actually a half pound lighter than the 21UX. I recommend the LX.

Let us know what you do, especially if you opt for the LX. Your feedback on its performance would be most helpful to others having the same question. If for some strange reason you run into problems (which I think is unlikely), we'll make sure you're taken care of.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby Frag » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

Good to hear that, I'll go for the LX and post my feedback here. Thanks for the support.
Frag

Postby jamesr » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:05 am

Just bought the Ergotron LX from future shop and have attached a 22HD Cintiq. I followed this guide to attaching the arm to the cintiq to make sure I wasn't missing anything: http://www.basarat.com/2013/04/wacom-ci ... x-arm.html

Here's an image from that site showing what I would like to have happen: http://i.imgur.com/j9IARSy.jpg

and here's a mock-up of what is actually happening: http://i.imgur.com/qQI0kt9.jpg
It works as intended when moving about lower than the mock-up image.

MAIN PROBLEM: At this height, it rests on the keyboard, if positioned above the keyboard. I haven't found which screws/bolts (if any) that I can tighten on the arm joint. There is only one that might be helpful to tighten, save that neither the allen keys, nor any screw bit in my possession can fit.

I'd just like to ask for insight into whether this is even intended to be tightened by the user. I want this to look as new as possible and would like to avoid having to replace stripped bolts.

Thanks for your time!
jamesr

Postby steveA » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:33 am

Yes, you need to increase the tension of the height-adjustment mechanism. The Cintiq is near the top end of the LX arm's weight range, so you need to tighten it quite a bit. Go to the User Guide: See section 6 on page 7. (The non-Ergotron online guide you followed meant you missed maybe the most important part of the set up of the arm.)

Using the 4mm hex driver included with the LX, find the adjustment-screw for the arm's main lift engine. It is located at the head of the arm, tucked just behind the pivot and under the arm's aluminum housing. Lift the arm to the top of its height range and tilt the monitor forward to get access to the screw head with the driver. While holding the arm up, turn the screw clockwise until you reach the proper tension. You may need to fully rotate that screw a couple dozen times or more. Don't stop until you get the right tension. Next, adjust the tension of the pivot's up/down tilt: using the same 4mm hex driver, turn the screw located under the pivot until you reach the proper tension.

Let me know if you run into any problem or if you have questions.
Attachments
LXarm-adjustment1.jpg
Adjustment for arm
LXarm-adjustment2.jpg
Adjustment for pivot
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby jamesr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 am

This solves it! I triple checked the manuals but seemingly missed this page..
Thanks a ton for the help!
jamesr

Return to Desk Mounts