LX Desk Mount LCD Arm - No tension on Monitor Screw

LX Desk Mount LCD Arm - No tension on Monitor Screw

Postby JonathanL » Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 am

I am trying to install a new LX (Dual) Desk Mount LCD Arm. Looks awesome, but I thought I'd test some of the tension screws before disassembling my monitor stands.

So far so good until I tested the screw to adjust the VESA monitor angle up and down tilt. On one arm, when I rotate the screw left to reduce tension, it is possible to view the screw visibly being removed from the socket. The tension appears to be getting lighter, and the VESA mount adjusts easier and stays in place (for the most part without any weight).

Screw only spins when turned.png
Screw remains fully inserted to socket when "loosened"
Screw only spins when turned.png (29.1 KiB) Viewed 6288 times

However, on the other arm, this screw only spins in place and eventually gets stuck rotating left (or right). The screw is still firmly inserted all the way into the socket. The tension seems less as I can struggle to move the VESA mount, but the mount will not stay in a certain position. Once released, the VESA mount rolls upward facing the sky.

I find the different behavior from the two arms troubling. I think the arm with the "stuck screw" has an issue.

May I please have a professional opinion if I need to return this item (to Amazon)? Any alternative options? Will the behavior be fixed if I put weight (from monitors) onto the mounts?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Looking forward to when this is all set up,
Jonathan
JonathanL

Re: LX Desk Mount LCD Arm - No tension on Monitor Screw

Postby steveA » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 am

Hi Johnathon,
Actually, the "stuck screw" is how it ought to be working. You say the tension is less when you turn the screw counter-clockwise. That's all that matters. The bottom weight-range of the LX is 7 lbs, so without a monitor attached the pivot should pop up. The mechanism is designed so that the screw stops turning at the bottom of the range, as it needs to remain in the socket for the tilt to function.

So the real problem now is the screw on the first arm has disengaged. Try to get it back in its threaded socket like it was and attach your monitor. Then adjust the tension so that the monitor's weight is counter-balanced against the tension controlled by the screw. If you have any trouble getting the screw re-engaged, just let me know.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby JonathanL » Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

Thank you very much SteveA for the very quick reply!

Teaches me a lesson for not following the instructions. I'll give it another go. :)

I'll assume that re-engaging a screw is nothing more than turning clockwise as far as I can, and then turning counter-clockwise the appropriate amount with the monitor connected. :D
JonathanL

Postby steveA » Fri May 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes, though you need not tighten the screw all the way before attaching your monitor--just get the screw threaded into the socket at any length. I think by tipping back the pivot you'll be able to align the screw with the hole for re-engagement (though I don't quite remember). At any rate, it shouldn't be too difficult.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby JonathanL » Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 pm

I wanted to check back in and say thanks again to SteveA for the quick feedback!

I didn't actually unscrew the screw all the way since I figured that would be bad... so I was able to re-engage the screw (to some degree anyway) and set-up the arms. With the weight of the monitors, it seems to pivot appropriately.

I haven't moved the monitors around too much yet, since I'm going to be taking it down and re-setting it up somewhere else. But it's doing great so far! :) I'll let you guys know if I run into anymore hiccups. 8-)
JonathanL

Postby serowoon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 pm

I'm going through the same issue here except my screw has been removed all the way. I chose to remove the screw because they were screwed in at a noticeably slanted angle causing some concern.

Now the screw won't screw back in because the 2 or more inner layers with holes won't line up perfectly for the screw to go through. I've attempted to get them lined up by inserting a screw driver to move them but it's almost impossible to get them to stay in place for the screw to thread all the way.

http://imgur.com/a/SHpbT

Thanks.
serowoon

Postby ErgoAdam » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Yeah, that screw isn't supposed to be removed. :-/

Off the top of my head, you could try removing the monitor. That might ease the tension on the inner bracket, allowing for more play in the pieces, so you can line them up, and reinsert the screw.

Let me know if that works, and good luck! :-)
-Adam
Adam Best
Social Media Manager
Ergotron

Follow us for the latest news: http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/801/language/en-US/default.aspx
ErgoAdam
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby serowoon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Removing the monitor seemed to have had no effect on the tension of this particular piece. To clarify, this is the tilt plate that is the end piece that attaches to the monitor, and it stayed in its position when the monitor was removed.

So with the screw removed all the way, should the tilt tension be at its strongest or weakest in holding the monitor up? It feels much easier to tilt the monitor to have it face upward than downward.

Is it possible that the mechanism for this tilt has been undone and the screw simply cannot be reinserted properly at this stage?
serowoon

Postby ErgoAdam » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:09 am

Hard to say for sure without more detail. At this point, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care team for expert technical assistance. Here's the link:
http://www.ergotron.com/en-us/support/c ... 0-888-8458

Let me know how it turns out!
-Adam
Adam Best
Social Media Manager
Ergotron

Follow us for the latest news: http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/801/language/en-US/default.aspx
ErgoAdam
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Return to Desk Mounts