Apple Thunderbolt Display wall Mount

Apple Thunderbolt Display wall Mount

Postby BigN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 am

I am currently planning a new computer installation here, based around an Apple 27" iMac. Following an email dialogue with the Ergotron Sales Support team, I have more or less decided to support the iMac itself, which will sit above an area of sloping floor in a corner of this room, on an LX Sit-Stand Wall Mount LCD Arm 45-353-026, with its keyboard and mouse on a matching LX Sit-Stand Keyboard Arm 45-354-026. These in turn both mounted on a 34" Wall Track 31-018-182, using 2xBrackets 97-091. The wall is brick, and can be drilled for a good load-bearing fix for the Track.

I have since discovered this community forum, and read threads relating to weight and size issues with this computer. I would welcome confirmation that this is in fact the optimal solution for my purpose? Seems to be an LX vs MX, which is better dilemma.

Also, I plan to add a second display, a matching Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display, and this needs to be wall-mounted, but at right angles to the outer brick wall used for the computer. The relevant wall is plasterboard and hollow, and I have no idea where any studs may be located. The monitor needs to sit as close as practical to the wall, while still leaving enough space to mount/dismount it, and to connect cables to its hub ports. It does not need to tilt, pan or rotate.

The specified weight of the current model c/w stand is 23.5 lbs or 10.8kg, so it is no light weight. Probably much the same with a VESA Adapter put in place of the stand. There is a new model due to be released sometime soon, matching the very thin styling of the new iMac design. Right now, I am trying to decide how best to proceed, and establish a budget for the project.

The only product I can find that achieves this is the 200 Series Wall Mount Pivot 45-232-200, mounted either on a 26" Wall Track, or maybe on a Wall Plate.
I can understand from the instructions how to mount this pivot to the wall, and how to affix it to the display VESA bracket. But, given the limited access in behind the display, how exactly is the display mounted and dismounted again when required?

What would be your recommendation from your product range to suit this Apple product, with particular emphasis on spreading the weight over a number of cavity fixings?
BigN

Re: Apple Thunderbolt Display wall Mount

Postby steveA » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm

First, before I can give you a definite answer on the iMac mount, I need to know which model you own--like when you purchased it (its model year designation) and/or the model number. As you may know, iMac has undergone pretty major changes in the last year (now they even have a VESA-ready version) and it makes a world of difference if, for example, you have a 27"iMac from mid 2011 versus an iMac from late 2012.

Your choice of the 200 Series Pivot with a Wall Plate or Wall Track is a good one. The plate/track should distribute the weight adequately. Use toggle-anchor bolts to fasten to wall; with the standard Wall Plate, you'll need to make a trip to the hardware store for those fasteners, or get a Wall Plate Kit with toggle-bolts included. A Wall Track covers a larger surface area, so potentially it will give even more support (need to use your own fasteners).

Attach the Pivot to the wall first via plate or track, then get another person to help you hold the display (just to ensure there isn't accidental display destruction happening). There will be plenty of room to get your hands behind the display. The pivot comes with thumb-screws that make attaching the display to the pivot's VESA plate very easy--no tools are required, you just hand-tighten and you're good to go.

Hope that helps. Let me know about the iMac version you're mounting.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Re: Apple Thunderbolt Display Wall Mount

Postby BigN » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 am

This project is very much a Work-in-Progress, Steve, with major expense not envisaged till into 2014. The iMac (at current Apple status) will be the recently announced Haswell 27" model c/w Built-in VESA Mount Adapter. In other words, I will be buying the current model, or maybe even the next model, specifically to mount it on Ergotron products.

As for the Thunderbolt Display, subject of this thread, according to rumours I expect a new model to be released fairly soon now, perhaps on 10/22. I am banking on Apple following the lead of their computer, and have an option to purchase it with Built-in VESA Adapter. Or at the very least, to offer an add-on kit for after sales replacement of the standard base by a VESA adapter. Need to wait and see!

So, sorry Steve, I cannot provide model numbers because I do not yet know them. However, your comments re the 200 Series Pivot are reassuring. In fact a friend loaned me a Stud Finder today, so I will check out this hollow wall ASAP to see if any stud is in the right spot.

I am under pressure of time. I have a short vacation looming, with more pressing things to do. I will probably not be active on here for a time. Bear in mind that this is an initial fact-finding query right now to develop my plan, and cost it. If the cost gets out of hand, I may change tack!

Anyway, your comments are appreciated.
BigN

Postby steveA » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Regarding the iMac version, the info you provided tells me what I need to know: If you're ordering the iMac with the VESA interface (as opposed to the standard built-in base), the LX Sit-Stand Arm should work great. Sales support gave you the right answer. (Sorry to question but it's so easy for miscommunication to happen, especially with Apple's array of non-VESA-compliant products.)

For other people reading this, iMac can be configured with a VESA interface when you order the unit. But there is no retrofit option for any iMac since late 2012, i.e., there is no VESA adapter available because the built-in base cannot be removed.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby BigN » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am

Much obliged, Steve. I think I have enough confidence in the overall plan for my migration from a PC-exclusive setup here to firstly an iMac alongside it, with a second screen partly for Extended Desktop use but also to display a feed from a suitable TV source. In the long term perhaps the old PC kit will be phased out! It's fingers crossed time that the mooted new Thunderbolt Display comes with VESA mounting as an option. Find it hard to believe it will not!

Now to save up the pennies! Thanks for your advice. It was appreciated.
Norrie
BigN

Return to Wall Mounts