LX Sit stand desk mount options

LX Sit stand desk mount options

Postby willismorse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:57 pm

I've got two Apple thunderbolt monitors, each with its own wallmount LX sit-stand arm. I would like to mount them to a desk instead of a wall.

I was considering mounting the arms to a desk-mounted slat wall systems, such as the SteelCase Design system:
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/Ca ... s_spec.pdf
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/Ca ... l_Spec.pdf

I see that ergotron has a slat wall adapter plate for the LX.

My question is: do you have an opinion on the feasibility of this, or do you know of anyone that has done something similar? I'm concerned about the significant torque that two thunderbolt monitors are going to exert hanging 9" or more off the wall, and I can't tell whether a freestanding slatwall panel can handle that.

Alternatively, is there a another standardized way to mount ergotron wall mount arms onto desks that I've missed?
willismorse

Re: LX Sit stand desk mount options

Postby steveA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:11 am

The slatwall bracket (60-271-009) should work for you. It is listed as compatible with Steelcase slatwall. Unfortunately, at the moment there isn't a way to alternately attach your arm to a desk. Ergotron is soon to release a desk-mount arm but the base used to attach the arm to a desk will not be sold separately, so you'd just need to buy a whole new configuration. Your slatwall plan seems like the best option.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby willismorse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

steveA wrote:The slatwall bracket (60-271-009) should work for you. It is listed as compatible with Steelcase slatwall. Unfortunately, at the moment there isn't a way to alternately attach your arm to a desk. Ergotron is soon to release a desk-mount arm but the base used to attach the arm to a desk will not be sold separately, so you'd just need to buy a whole new configuration. Your slatwall plan seems like the best option.

Thanks, Steve. That's good info.

So there's a desk version of the sit/stand LX coming? That's interesting, and may be worth waiting for. I'm still not sure how to suspend the slatwall solidly above a desk, given the weight and torque; it seems like slatwalls are often just part of the cubicle wall.

I know you can't comment on exact time tables, but do you have a rough idea how far out the release date on this desk mount version is?
willismorse

Postby steveA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 am

Release date is very soon.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby willismorse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks steve. I'll hold tight.
willismorse

Postby steveA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 am

The products are released! We now offer LX Sit-Stand Desk Mount Arms. There are two versions; basic difference is weight capacity. For Thunderbolt, either model would work.

But there is a not-so-good-news aspect to this, which I should have thought of and written about in an earlier post (apologies). Ergotron has launched them but they may not be available for shipment until early December (45-384-026 will be available before 45-360-026). You'll be able to pre-order sooner but there is typically a lag time between our "launch" and a product's availability in the distribution channel. It is a great product--it could be worth the wait.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby willismorse » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 am

Great news, thanks Steve!

I will definitely wait for these. They are real "missing link" products if you're putting together a standing desk; the only other arm I could find that comes close is the HumanScale M8 series, but they don't have as much range or articulation and they are really expensive.

I can live with a stack of cardboard boxes for a month :-)
willismorse

Return to Wall Mounts