WM LX Arm downward tilt...

WM LX Arm downward tilt...

Postby javiopro » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Installed lx arm on wall track and the backward tilt movement allows it to go back almost flat which is great...
However... I need it to tilt the other way (forward, display facing down towards the floor) so when sitting I dont strain my neck when looking up. Is this possible? I had to mount it up high on the wall.

Is there any optional parts/accessories such as the 100 series single pivot 47-092-800 that can attach to the vesa plate on the lx arm? any other ideas? thanks
javiopro

Re: WM LX Arm downward tilt...

Postby steveA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 am

The LX is a really great arm but this is one of its few limitations. There are no upgrades to increase downward tilt. In your application we would recommend the 200 Series Arm (45-234-200): http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx . It will attach to Wall Track like the LX and features full up/down tilt. You could contact the seller and try exchanging your arm for a 200 Series.

Alternatively, on YouTube there is a video by a resourceful customer that shows how to increase downward tilt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPEiM_Qk0SY . Needless to say, implementing a change like this will affect warranty--Ergotron has not tested this procedure.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby javiopro » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I really like the LX arm. For me mounting overhead is the only option so I think Ill modify it per the you-tube video method. Its only a matter of bending/removing 2 small tabs blocking downward tilt range of motion.

I would recommend adding downward tilt standard from factory. I think this would benefit users wanting to mount lx arm overhead. This ultimately increases its already amazing range of motion and improves upon an already fantastic product. Thanks again for the info and suggestions. +++ :D
javiopro

Postby merkel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:46 pm

I only need two configurations - tilted 70 degrees downward and neutral (no tilt). Is it possible to simply mount it upside down? Or invert the connecting piece that controls tilt so that down is up and vice versa?
merkel

Postby steveA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 am

The LX Wall Mount Arm cannot be mounted upside down--the arm and extension are not fastened to the wall bracket (or to each other). Gravity keeps these pieces connected.

The tilt mechanism cannot be inverted. The only way to increase downward tilt (as I mentioned previously) would be to straighten out or remove the two tabs on the bottom of the pivot that stop downward motion, though it still would not give you 70 degrees. Note that with this modification the pivot's spring may not function optimally throughout the entire range of motion. And remember that a modification like removal of the tabs may nullify the warranty.

The 200 Series Arm is a really good alternative for any application where the monitor is installed above eye level. If you don't need height adjustment, I would recommend getting it instead.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby merkel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks Steve for pointing me to that link. I bent the tabs and that increased the tilt, then a went a bit further and removed the tabs completely by bending them back and forth until they broke off. The downward tilt is quite good now. It is now the perfect monitor arm. It's really high quality, I was impressed.

I have one more question. I saw that the keyboard arm is only available in a wall mount, but it connects to the wall mount via a small pole similar to how the monitor arm is connected to the desk mount. Is it safe to assume that the desk mount pole connector is the same size? I'm wondering if I can use the same desk mount for both the keyboard arm and the monitor arm. I have a bit of a custom setup for my Human Touch Perfect Chair that I'm turning into an ergonomic workstation.
merkel

Postby steveA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Yes, the pole width is exactly the same. You can easily attach the keyboard arm to a desk-mount base. Sounds like an interesting configuration--if you're so inclined, post a picture of your workstation if/when you set it up.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby DavidB » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 am

steveA wrote:The LX Wall Mount Arm cannot be mounted upside down--the arm and extension are not fastened to the wall bracket (or to each other). Gravity keeps these pieces connected.

The tilt mechanism cannot be inverted. The only way to increase downward tilt (as I mentioned previously) would be to straighten out or remove the two tabs on the bottom of the pivot that stop downward motion, though it still would not give you 70 degrees. Note that with this modification the pivot's spring may not function optimally throughout the entire range of motion. And remember that a modification like removal of the tabs may nullify the warranty.

The 200 Series Arm is a really good alternative for any application where the monitor is installed above eye level. If you don't need height adjustment, I would recommend getting it instead.

I've had nothing but good experience with 200 Series Arm, as it offers incredible level of flexibility. You can't go wrong with that one!
DavidB

Postby Comparth » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 am

I would like to do the same modification to the LX HD Sit-Stand Desk Mount LCD Arm, Mfg. Part: 45-384-026. I need height adjustment, so the 200 series arm will not work for me.
I assume the design is similar, but my Internet searches have not found any references for this modification being done to this arm in particular.

Is the design similar enough to do this modification?
Comparth

Return to Wall Mounts