ipad trolley

ipad trolley

Postby zhinkler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi,

I'm new here, just getting into the whole ipad trolley/configurator in education thing.
The thing is I'm having trouble with my setup.
Apple configurator will only recognise a maximum of 23 devices when all 32 devices are connected.
I have tested all the cables and the ipads, and apple configurator has no limit to how many devices you can connect so that only leaves the trolley...

I'm wondering if it's the built-in usb hub on the trolley, has anyone any thoughts on this?

Thanks all
zhinkler

Re: ipad trolley

Postby steveA » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:41 am

No, it is not related to the cart and its USB hub. It probably is the computer you're using to sync the devices that is causing the bottleneck. Here is a notice we recently posted to the web site:

"Syncing hardware update: Many new laptops, such as MacBook Air (purchased June 2013 or later) and MacBook Pro (purchased November 2013 or later), have hardware limitations as to the number of USB devices the laptop will recognize at any one time, similar to certain models of Windows notebook computers. This will limit the ability to sync more than 25 iPad devices via a wired connection at one time. This does not affect charging capability. Please see Product Bulletin 2013-6E for more information. This is not a limitation of the Ergotron cart; check with your laptop manufacturer for details regarding USB device limits for your particular laptop model."
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby zhinkler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for your response Steve.
Please can you provide references in regards to where you got this information.
I have tried and failed to find any information on the net about this.

Thanks
zhinkler

Postby steveA » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:59 am

For reference, the best I can do is our Product Bulletin (link in previous post). This information derives from the manufacturers themselves, e.g., Intel, Apple, etc.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby zhinkler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 am

Ok thanks again Steve, I'll will try and get some further info from Intel & Apple.
I'll post my findings on here if I come across anything.
zhinkler

Postby steveA » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 am

That will be most appreciated if you do. Thanks.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby zhinkler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:25 am

Steve,
This is the response I received from Intel..

>Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.
>There shouldn't be a limitation from processors point of view but there might be power limitations. Unfortunately we are not aware of or tested the device or configuration you mentioned.

>Thank you for your understanding.

>Kind regards

Can you Investigate this please? Because I still have a trolley thats not doing what it was designed for.

Thanks
zhinkler

Postby steveA » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 am

The limitation is not related to the cart. There is no bottle-neck in its hub. Customer care (even at Dell) isn't always savvy in cases like this. The customer service rep wrote, "... we are not aware of or tested the device ...": that makes it clear to me that this sort of application is outside their typical support inquiries. With Windows machines, this limitation has been known for quite some time.

The best I can do is connect you with our product manager, who may be able to answer your questions with some specificity.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Return to Carts