Tablet stand for the Microsoft Surface 2

Will my display work with that?

Tablet stand for the Microsoft Surface 2

Postby ant177 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:43 am

I am looking at a tablet mounting solution for my Microsoft Surface 2. I already have a desk mount LX arm for my monitors and I was looking at this so that I could mount the Surface to the side of one of the monitors.

The Surface is more of a widescreen tablet than the iPad and unfortunately it is too wide for the (stated) width of the mount. Does the mount clamp at the top and bottom (in which case the tablet could sit lopsided being too wide) or does it clamp in all 4 corners? Otherwise are there any alternative mounting accessories that I could use to mount the Surface to an LX arm?

Regards
Anthony
ant177

Re: Tablet stand for the Microsoft Surface 2

Postby steveA » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:22 pm

The bracket contacts the tablet on all four sides, so it won't work in your case. If you can find a bracket holder from a third party that includes a 100 x 100 mm VESA interface, it could attach either directly to the LX Arm's pivot plate or to our extension (part of 80-106-085) to place it alongside a monitor on the LX. BTW, if you were to attach directly to the LX's pivot, the weight would likely be under the minimum recommended for the LX, which would result in a bit of auto-tilt.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby ant177 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:45 am

Thanks for the reply Steve, that is what I suspected but I thought I would check before hunting for alternatives.
I will be mounting the tablet to the side of my existing monitor so the weight should not be an issue.

So the extension from 80-106-085 can be used to attach any VESA 100 adaptor to the side of a monitor? Obviously there would be weight limitations and I wouldn't put another monitor on there but it would be sufficient to mount a VESA compatible tablet cradle?
I don't suppose those extensions are sold separately outside of the tablet mount are they?
ant177

Postby steveA » Thu May 01, 2014 4:15 pm

No, sorry, the extension is not sold separately.

I can't guarantee that every cradle that includes a 100x100mm VESA hole pattern will work, but the Ergotron cradle attaches to the extension via that VESA hole pattern, so it seems like it ought to work with other cradles that include the same hole pattern, or there's a good chance that it would anyway.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby ant177 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:06 am

Thanks Steve. I don't suppose you could provide some feedback to the Ergotron product development team that it would be really good if the "Universal" tablet mount was more universal? ;)
From a quick look around the internet it doesn't appear that anyone does a VESA mount for professional tablets.

Thank you very much for your advice!
ant177

Return to Display Compatibility