Drawing tablets on the Workfit

For new ideas or enhancements to existing products.

Drawing tablets on the Workfit

Postby Wolvenmoon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:33 pm

So, I have the luck to run with enough artists to have picked up a bit on my own and have started getting in to digital artwork (specifically 3D modeling). I ended up with a back injury and have been pretty non-productive for the past two years, but I'm getting better.

One of the things I think would really be useful for artists (and people like me who are learning) on the Ergotron workfit is a method to attach a tablet to it that would move up and down with the monitors, tilt, and be easily pushed out of the way when not in use. Since they're pretty much the standard, Wacom's products are what I'd like to see supported, http://www.wacom.com/en/Products.aspx and if possible, consideration for what the people at www.tabletmod.com have done.

Also, thank you for this wonderful product. Once I do my post-semester cleanup of my office I'll put up pictures. :D
Wolvenmoon

Re: Drawing tablets on the Workfit

Postby steveA » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Looking forward to the pictures!

Wacom Cintiq tablets all include VESA mounting hole patterns so they do attach to our products (though their new Cintiq 24HD is too heavy for any of our WorkFits). That said, you're right that we don't have a WorkFit solution that's well suited to a Cintiq--you'd want something that can extend the screen out and drop it down where it would be easy to draw on. (The LX Arm is very popular for using with the Cintiq.) For the Wacom Intuos tablets, you'd have to get creative to integrate one into an Ergotron system. With an LX Arm, you could add our Notebook Tray accessory and then adhere the tablet to it with Velcro. On a WorkFit-S, adding the Tablet Holder accessory could work. But those aren't ideal solutions.

Thank you for the feedback. I will share with product managers.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby Wolvenmoon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Hmmm, I'm still working on figuring this out!

So, an LX arm swings in and out, but how would I get it to move with the Ergotron Workfit?

Looking at the workfit's column - is there any way a harness could be put in behind the part that the keyboard/monitor part is, gripping the main column, so that it moves up and down with the workfit? If so, it could make workfit expansion a breeze. Though it looks like it'd be hard to engineer it so that it didn't put additional load on the springs.
Wolvenmoon

Postby steveA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am

Sorry, I guess my last post was confusing. What I meant to convey is the WorkFit is not ideally suited to working with a Wacom tablet (though it is compatible to some extent), whereas is our LX Arm is an excellent Wacom mount. I was speaking about two separate solutions, rather than suggesting that the two could be connected in some way.

You cannot attached the LX Arm to a WorkFit. You could attach the LX to the same desk and use it alongside a WorkFit, but the two solutions would operate independently of each other.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby Wolvenmoon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I was thinking in text again!

Making a way to mount an LX arm to a workfit - at least a desk mount workfit - would be awesome and could make the workfit one of the end all and be all solutions to monitor stands/keyboard trays.
Wolvenmoon

Return to Ideas and Feedback