iPad

For new ideas or enhancements to existing products.

iPad

Postby Tom F » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 pm

I am looking for a way to mount an iPad to an articulating arm. There are a couple of possibilities out there now, but they don't look as well made as an Ergotron solution could be.

I would like something like the LX wall mount, with an extension, so I could mount the iPad near our treadmill and exercise bike. Maybe in the kitchen as well.

I'll probably use the Ram Mount iPad cradle and their VESA adapter plate.

Does Ergotron have a dedicated Tablet mount in the works, or can the LX work with something that only weighs 2 lbs. in a cradle?
Tom F

Re: iPad

Postby steveA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 am

This isn't something that we've tested. While the iPad with RAM Mount appears to be too light for the arm's tilting pivot, their VESA adapter plate looks like it moves the screen a couple inches beyond the LX's mounting plate. This extra distance increases the force on the pivot and could compensate for the light weight.

Others have made the LX work with iPad--see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEgEBtzUZaY . In the case of the RAM Mount solution, the answer right now is we don't know if it will work. The arm itself should be OK; the only uncertainty is the front pivot.

You could give the LX a try and if it doesn't work just return the arm. Or you could try using something like our 200 Series Arm (pt # 45-234-200) http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/65/PRDID/278/Default.aspx , which does not have a minimum weight requirement.

Let us know what you do--we'll be especially interested if you try the LX. When we come across more information, we'll update this post.

UPDATE... Ergotron now offers an iPad adapter: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45&start=10
Last edited by steveA on Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby Jemmfly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 pm

The LX arm works well for the iPad. Where I can order only the wall fixation ? So i will be to move the arm to other room in the house.
Jemmfly

Postby steveA » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm

How did you set up your LX arm so it works with the iPad? What bracket did you add?

The LX base is not currently available for separate sale (sorry). The most economical solution would be to buy our Neo-Flex HD Wall Mount Pivot (45-195-194). It uses the same base, though it is a different color. http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/65/PRDID/129/Default.aspx . Street price in USA is ~$55.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby bnz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi,

I bought the LX arm after watching the DIY ipad wall mount videos on youtube (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEgEBtzUZaY) and wanted to build something similar - basically some heavier piece of wood or so and something to mount the ipad to it. Now I am a little confused having received the arm as it doesn't seem to be able to tilt downwards, but only upwards. Is this the guarantee voiding modification to increase the tilt range also found somewhere on youtube or am I missing some trick here to make the arm tilt downwards?

Is there a possibility to somehow buy a single desk mount so that I can still use the arm for my regular display as I don't want to exchange it if the tilt doesn't work as expected - maybe a similar solution to the neo-flex hd wall mount you mentioned, but for the desk mount? Offering these components as single accessories would probably a very great idea for us customers :-)
bnz

Postby steveA » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 am

A few responses...
We now recommend this Omnimount interface bracket when attaching an iPad to any of our mounts: http://www.omnimount.com/Product/Specia ... ands/IES1/
Omnimount sells this item as a stand-alone desk stand but the tablet-holder component is easily removed from the stand, which then can be attached to any arm or pivot that uses a 100x100 mm VESA interface. The bracket is adjustable, meaning it will adapt to many other tablets as well as to iPad. Furthermore, an iPad can be quickly attached or removed from the interface; I'd buy two Omnimount brackets with two separate Ergotron arms--one for desk and one for wall--rather than trying to move a single arm from a desk mount to a wall mount.

Regarding the LX's lack of downward tilt, the YouTube video is the only solution--you're missing no tricks (sorry). Our 200 Series has full tilt capability--you might consider it if you do not want to attempt modifying an LX. http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

Lastly, I sympathize wholehearted with your frustration about the inability to buy piece-parts for the LX. I will make another trip to try to convince people to activate those parts. Hope this helps, but reply if I didn't answer your question fully.

Last edited by steveA on Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby bnz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 am

Yes, that helped a lot! Just two small additional questions though: is the Omnimount by itself heavy enough for the LX arm? The other question is: will the Omnimount hold the iPad in a stable way also when tilted downwards (if I modify the arm)?

I'll have to find a way to get this in Germany though - it doesn't seem to be that easy...

Also thanks for trying to start another round of convincing regarding the piece-parts. This really would be very helpful. The LX is a modular system, but the users can't use it in a modular way - very disappointing.
bnz

Postby bnz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 pm

One more question: my LX arm looks different from the one in the YT video where the modification is explained. I have a steel cover basically also blocking the upward bended tilt stopper. Does this mean that the current version of the arm does not support the modification any more? Or at least the downward tilt range is now limited in a further step and the modification doesn't help much?
bnz

Postby steveA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Bnz,
Good questions and thanks for asking. I did some investigating. Unfortunately it turns out the Omnimount bracket is not heavy enough for the LX arm's pivot --the arm itself adjusts fine but its pivot wants to turn upward (apologies for not getting that info sooner). In our current product offering, the Neo-Flex LCD Arm (45-174-300) might be worth considering--it has no minimum capacity requirement and features a full tilt range. Regarding whether the bracket will hold an iPad when tilted down, yes, it will if its spans are well tightened in place. But there isn't much margin for error: if one of the spans moves a bit or they aren't tightened quite enough, the tablet could fall out. An iPad case with a stickier exterior could help, but in your application where you want to keep the tablet tilted down a lot, you might want to consider this iPad bracket instead: http://tabletwallport.com/iPad_Wall_Port.html (don't know if you'll have an easier time finding it in DE).

Regarding the YouTube vid, the arm shown is the older style, but before I comment more on this subject, it must be repeated: modifications like this could void your warranty. You could still perform the modification and increase the downward tilt by roughly another 25 degrees on your newer-model arm. If the tabs were completely removed, you'd get still more tilt. Again, I'm not recommending you do this.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited by steveA on Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveA
Ergotron Employee
Ergotron Employee

Postby bnz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks for the awesome answers and support!
bnz

Next

Return to Ideas and Feedback